Sunday, February 12, 2017

When in Doubt, Add Three

Pipka came to Albany, NY to teach her unique folk art European Santa designs at a local hotel.  She was so well established by then if you did not sign up early it was a sold out event.  In the hotel there were back to back 12 foot banquet tables in three length wise rows in a huge room.  Chairs were lined up on either side of the line and there was elbow room to move as you painted.

I think I saw her painting book at an art store I visited often for supplies.  I love Christmas and Santas and her designs were antique looking, Colonial Williamsburg type.  I bought her video and although it was pretty clear, I knew to see her in action would seal the process. It was a one day workshop and when I came in the room it was fun to find your seat and have the wood cut out of the Santa at your seat with all the paints I bought for the project and my new brushes.

Pipka was cordial and smiled but I could see she was a bit reserved in presentation. She painted the Santa in front of us as she stood by her easel and then made a point to come around to each of us to ensure we had the idea.  What I learned that day was, if you really know how to paint, it does not matter whether you use a flat brush or round one.  She went from student to student and would take whatever size brush each student had loaded with paint and with our permission begin to paint on our masterpiece.  She could make a flat brush technique turn out perfectly with a round brush and vice versa.

I spoke to her in person on a break.  Her Santas fascinate me because they involve very intricate details and the more you paint, the more beautiful the piece becomes. I am always interested in any woman who has her own business because that was always a dream of mine. Her idea for each design come from "Santas" or "gift givers" from countries all over the world. It takes her up to 6 months to study and gather the material she needs to create her Santa. She likes to clothe them and portray the particular gifts for that culture.

She told me she is traveling teaching in person now but she really wanted a workshop in her home, WI.  (1990s) She loved to cook and wanted to serve her Grandmother's recipes at her work and gift shop someday.  She got the nickname "Pipka" (Czechoslovakian) from her mother.  (I think this means Baby Girl, she told me but I can't be sure.)

Her dream came true and she sells her Santa originals many places now.  She has her home studio and teaches classes in there in Sister Bay, WI. You can buy her Santas online and Amazon.

Whenever I create art or do a floral arrangement, a table decoration, and I'm in doubt about "is this too much? or too little?" I laugh and remember Pipka and what she told me in her art class...
I remember putting gold dots on my piece and I began to think it was too much and I asked her, "How do you know when enough is enough?"

She smiled and said, "My motto is whenever in doubt add three more!" And so I do.


No comments:

Post a Comment