Monday, February 19, 2018

"Dignity"

It's no secret I have an affection for the Native American Indians.  Like many people in a weaker positiion of any continent or family they were deceived, lied to, and stolen from by more powerful and greedy people. What Native Americans took from the earth, they used for survival and respectfully gave back to nature whenever possible. What progress does in the name of greed destroys earth.

Native Americans lived as one with the earth. Taking what was needed to survive with thankfulness for what earth provided. Men and women working together make survival of humankind possible.

I do not ever say, women are more important than men because we are not.  Recently if you are following my blog you know I have discovered from my "23 & Me" analysis that I have a 100% Native American grandparent 8th or 9th generation back.  I am so thrilled about this, because I have had an unusual affection for American Indians my entire life. When I finally met an actual Native American man, I thought he was the most aesthetically beautiful person I had ever seen.

Years ago when I was in Texas, (attending our daughter's AF graduation) I went to a bazaar where Native Americans were selling their ware.  I spoke to one of the women who told me, "You should look into your ancestry, if you love our people so much, you may have Indian (her words) in your blood."  I have not had that opportunity until now and I remembered her words when I discovered I had a grandparent that was 100% Native American on my father's side. (Thrilled to discover this.)

As a woman I see history, I see now.  Women have been a tremendous asset to mankind, not just for bearing children.  Women have helped in warfare, times of feast and famine, kept families in tact when fathers died of disease, or on battle, or were absent, a woman's strength is equal to a man's strength in a different focus, but it is equal. 

Which brings me back to "Dignity."  This 50 ft stainless steel statue was erected in South Dakota 2016 to commemorate SD 125th anniversary. It was designed by a man, Dale Lamphere, to honor the Lakota and Dakota people.  It costs 1 million dollars and it was a gift from Norm and Eunabel McKie. We need kind hearted wealthy people and talented sculptors to make beautiful museums and statues that remind us of the appreciation of those that went before us to make our present lives possible. This statue is another example of a monument to something of value in history, a Native American woman, rightly titled, "Dignity."  Personally I think it is a beautiful piece of art and history.

We have got to move on past the mistakes of history and we can, but we have to change our focus.  To a focus that looks forward to what can be, instead of sitting in the mistakes of the past.  We learn from mistakes so we can make the world a better peaceful place.

Thankful for this statue, its beauty, its history and look forward to seeing it one day. Meanwhile love the internet where we can all see it from every angle up close! Love technology and the people who took the pictures and posted the pictures for us to see. Nice to see Native Americans smiling at the statue's dedication ceremony too. Things are getting better for America.

No comments:

Post a Comment