Saturday, February 24, 2018

Have Fun Today! Make a Happy Jar For Fun Memories

A couple of years ago I read about a "Happy Jar." It is a jar full of happy thoughts from the day before.  Any large jar will do. I like glass.  So for the last year Sweetheart and I put a daily "Happy Thought" written on scraps of paper with each date, whenever I could remember to write one.  In time this became a habit that before I went to bed or first thing in the morning, no matter what happened, I would make myself think of one happy thought from that day.

Finally, my husband began to watch me and joined in dropping his scrap paper notes in too. At Christmas when the kids were home, we took the paper notes out and sat around the table with everyone taking a turn to read them. We all laughed at some funny notes recorded and Sweetheart and I marveled at all the dates and different things we did throughout the year. Concerts, plays, shows, the eclipse, unexpected positive surprises, we seem to catch them on paper with a date and kept them in this glass jar.

The premise was to pull these out at year's end, read them, feel happiness, then burn them in the fireplace and start over next New Year. what we found is we loved remembering these happy thoughts so much we did not want to burn them, we wanted to keep these and add more to the jar.

That night our son-in-law said he thought this was a great idea and he would like to do this too.  I went to bed because the kids stay up all night when they visit together.  Early morning I went downstairs while the house was sleeping and made a glass jar like ours to give to our daughter and her husband when they left that day. Her husband was so happy!

Yesterday I spoke to our daughter on the phone and she said they were having fun putting "happy thoughts" in their jar and reading them.  I encourage anyone to make a "Happy Thoughts" if you want to remind yourself how wonderful the life you have is now. It sounds simple and it is but it is so effective in bringing a smile to your face.

Thankful for our "Happy Jar" and the positive thoughts it brings to mind with a smile attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment