Thursday, February 22, 2018

Three Pots that Cause Sleepwalking

The first pot filled to the brim is a mind full of opinions and preconceptions. We know it all. Nothing new can affect us or cause us to question our assumptions.

The second pot full of poison is a mind so cynical, critical, judgmental, everything is poisoned by the harshness. This allows no openness or willingness to explore teachings or anything that challenges our righteous stance.

The third pot has a hole in it and is a distracted mind: our body is present but we are lost in thought. We are so busy thinking we are deaf to what's being said. Did you know doodling is a form of entertaining a distracted mind and is forbidden in the training of monks?  The point of mind training is to learn to control your own mind not entertain it while it is wondering.

When Pema Chodron taught these three pots from her book No Time To Lose I thought, "OMG no wonder I have had to work my entire life to keep myself moving forward and taking control of my mind. These three pots were my family and I find exist to some extent in very family.  Throw in some extra depression, ADHD, and well meaning Christianity and it's me before I decided I had to change. 

Heard a psychiatrist, Dixon Chibanda in Zimbabwe that deals in depression, tell that in his language, depression is translated as "kufungisisa" literally means "thinking too much."  This kufungisisa leads to suicide. If any of us tries to take on the world and its problems it will lead to "thinking too much." Truth is no one person made these world problems and no one person will solve these either.

Much better to focus on something you do well and develop that skill.  In this way each of us contribute to solving world problems. We are one.

Imagine thinking constantly without listening.  Thinking your own opinions, critical judgments of others' actions, and the haughty belief that "I know," all day, every day, no room for exploration or self examination, no need for any other viewpoint?  Yes I can identify. This thinking can lead you in whirlpool of confusion with no way out. Too much rose colored views can make you live in denial, too much negative views can make you not trust.

Only you can stop the whirlpool.

Why and how do I spend days studying the teachings of sages such as Byron Katie, Eckhart Tolle, and the translators of ancient text such as Stephen Mitchell and Pema Chodron?  Because I woke up one day in my teens and realized I was sleepwalking through life and missing the beauty of the people and world around me. For me to wake up I had to unlearn much of what I had been taught from birth and in this I found me.  Yes I was wrong about many things, but I would change my thinking, I wanted to be free and peaceful inside. The journey continues, thankful.

Image result for unlearn




No comments:

Post a Comment