Friday, June 2, 2017

I Knew An Older Lady who Spoke Her Mind Every Time

I knew an old lady, (93 y o) who was good. She claimed to be “Black Protestant!”  She lived well and she loved her husband dear for many years.  They were not able to have children and she was a foster mom for years. She said she was so disappointed that the children she took into her home, left and never contacted her again.

Her husband and she always had a successful business. They had a butcher shop that my parents-in-law frequented for years before she and her husband moved away.  The friendship between my parents-in-law and the two continued.  Every year each couple agreed to meet, and go out to a restaurant to treat the other couple to an anniversary dinner.  They did this for years.

One day I met her and her husband at my in-laws house, they were going out on the yearly dinner date. She made me laugh with her brutal honesty, strict religious views, and open opinions.  She was stern but I like a woman with a back bone.  A few years later her husband dies and I go to her home in Saratoga for a visit. She and I become friends.  As she aged I became her POA and helped her enter a nursing home where I visited her weekly and bought her clothes, etc.

I remember she and I went to a Bed and Breakfast in Vermont one weekend. It happened to be a weekend that a group of surgeons gather on their annual ski trip. When these docs saw her in a wheelchair, they all ran to her side and pushed her wheelchair to the table and enquired if they could help her.  She loved the attention.  I left her in the center of these men as she flirted with each of them calling them “dears” while she ate her dinner.  She was priceless. In her element being the center of male attention.  She like me, loved men.

The greatest lesson she taught me was this.  She said, “You Know the difference between me and you? Being older, I don’t give a darn, I’ll say what I say no matter who is listening.”  She knew who she was, she knew what she stood for, she believed in herself, and she loved her husband.
I loved Ms. Bea.



No comments:

Post a Comment