Sunday, July 29, 2018

SnickerDoodle Graduation

Going to a high school graduation party in Peebles Island Park, Cohoes, NY. yesterday I was shown another NYS park I had not visited. This quaint park is located across a one lane bridge at the confluence of the Mohawk and Hudson rivers. It is 190 acres open year round for recreation. I had never been here until yesterday and will return for a walk and picnic for sure.

The niece of a friend was being celebrated as a high school graduate with a plan to enter Hartford College in CT this fall.  As I walked around I remembered our children leaving home years ago.  There were conversations from other parents speaking with students present about their dorm room, the usual questions, have you met the roommate, what's your major, do you have everything on the supply list, and I thought about my life.  This stage of our life, adult children out living life after college, military service, working in the world making their own way, discovering their own purpose, and I thought of my own life.

Actually leaving home was exciting to me and I loved living without a mother asking constant questions of my whereabouts and what time I got home, etc. Independence, my own schedule, freedom to live without parental judgement. 

This young woman has an athletic scholarship and she is an "honor" roll student.  She goes to a new world of friends and challenges.  As an athlete she will have the team to socialize with and the sport to excel in as she studies.  This is the plan and this is the direction.  Always good to have a plan and direction, this gives you a goal.  The challenge to live outside of  an institution's schedule when she graduates will be next chapter for her.

So many unforeseen events and wonderful worldly travels, being young, starting out in the world. No one can tell you what life will be, you have to experience it but to my way of thinking, a college education, or a technical school is a nice place to begin.

Her aunt told me she loves snickerdoodle cookies so I made three dozen, a private stash for the graduate and her aunt to take home for later. Both love these cookies.  Her aunt brought a tear to my eye when she presented me with a flower arrangement she made as a gift.  My friend is so busy taking care of everyone in her family, setting up for this party since early morn, doing her best to make everyone comfortable and arranging outside tents for food in case of rain.  To receive a flower arrangement too was so thoughtful. 

I have known this woman for about 4 years and her story is amazing, yet she and her 5 siblings stay in contact.  Her mother and father have long been gone but she keeps the family celebrating special events and together. Together, family. Words that go well together, 

Congratulations Natalie! I know you will do well, you always do and you have your aunt and family, the future is bright for you. Thank you Gail for the flowers, you are an angel.

Thankful to be invited to such a nice event.

Image result for peebles island state park

No comments:

Post a Comment