Sunday, December 25, 2016

A Flotilla and a Fruitcake from the Ozarks

 Our first visit to the Ozarks was shortly after we were married, a girlfriend 26 y o., was marrying a 45 y o man.  On the day she married she became a wife, a mother, and a grandmother.  Even her husband’s first wife was present, the mother of his first four adult children.  The groom owned a business out of Chicago that built speed boats and my girlfriend worked as his executive secretary.  She was a wonderful sweet strong Christian woman from the South.  I asked her at the wedding reception. “Why him?”  She said, “Well, lots of guys like me but he was the only one that asked me out.” 
My sweetheart and I were the only couple there of the same age. Many couples were older men with young wives. Most of the men were airline pilots.  Now the unusual reception was held on a flotilla. Five house boats were tied together side by side and anchored in a waterway in the Ozarks, Missouri.  Charles and I stayed close throughout the reception but ventured out for a while to mingle, this reception went on for hours. 
One houseboat had a huge shrimp cocktail table with a tall tower in the middle of more shrimp going up, up, up, in layers. Very prestigious looking with cocktail sauce in silver bowls.  The next houseboat was a lounge area that had a huge bar with bartender, anything you wanted they made it.  The next houseboat was open with dance floor and comfortable couches and an appetizer table in the back.  Then there was houseboat with the gigantic wedding cake with plates and forks you could eat anytime you like. The last houseboat was an area that had a changing room, you could put on your swimsuit and dive in, go waterskiing, and sit on floats with a cocktail in your hand.
As we began to talk with the other guests, it became clear that us two kids had not been quite as accomplished as the older men here and they began to brag of all they owned and where they traveled, etc.  Not to be out done, I thought. “I will never see these people again in my life so I will tell a tall tale about me and they will never know the difference.”
I told them I owned a train car and travelled around the continental United States when I was not working at my dental office, I was an oral surgeon.  (I actually had worked for an oral surgeon and knew the business well)  So as these drunk pompous pilots said they had to go to work and fly, I asked, “You are going to fly a plane drunk?”  They said, “Yes, have you not heard of auto-pilot? I fly drunk all the time.”
Southern belle with no life experience I was appalled to hear this.  So as I made my way to find my Sweetheart and tell him of this news…He approaches me and without discussing a thing whispers, “Quick, over here, if anyone ask, I own a Cessna 208 Caravan plane that seats 12 passengers!”  I started laughing out loud, “If anyone ask you, I own a train car and I’m an oral surgeon.”
We both had a good laugh, he tired of the BS and I tired of the BS had both lied without consulting the other, I knew I had married the right man for me.  Little did I know, I was feeling a bit nauseated while on this flotilla, when I returned home to NY I found I was 4 months pregnant with our first son.

I thought pf the Ozarks today because my sweetheart wanted a fruitcake for Christmas.  I ordered one through Williams Sonoma called The Assumption Abbey Fruitcake, a monastery in the Ozarks.  The recipe is an old one passed on to them from a chef that served this fruitcake to the Duke and Duchess of Windsor.  

Merry Christmas Sweetheart, I love you forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment