Saturday, July 22, 2017

A Peace Came Over Me, taught to me by this cat...

Have you ever sat with a person as they were dying?  The last days of their life?  In Hospice as a volunteer I did. To sit with a dying person, one must be very still, very present.  Sometimes a stranger is better suited to sitting with the dying person because there is much emotional baggage between a family member or members if the person dying has lead an unconscious, chaotic, life.  In death there is a general consensus that the dying be left to die in peace regardless of the good bye unsaid or the damage done to living members that the dying may never apologize for even on a death bed.  Victims come to the bedside hoping to get a confession or an apology that may or may not be said.  In Hospice those in attendance are there to be kind and present, to listen, not talk, until the last breath.

Conversations if possible are to be light hearted, in my case, funny.  I think when anyone has less of a history or emotional attachment it is easier to be light hearted and funny.  And so that leads me to tonight.  I have put much thought into how I helped the dying patient to be happy the last day or week of their life.  And I realized I must do the same for a very loving cat.

This pet, this cat, has never hurt anyone. Its soul purpose has been to comfort and share its love energy with everyone that came into his presence. Feeling anxious? Baby sat silently, calmly, purring n your lap.  Feeling lonely? Baby slept next to you as you slept at night, he put his head close to yours on your pillow.  Feeling sick? He sat nearby, waiting, purring for you to be well again. Ask for very little, and when he did ask, was gentle, never demanding as some cats.  

When he began suffering he never made a sound. As he became sicker, I knew he was not himself, he stopped purring.  He was still friendly and followed me but he wasn't purring.  After the vet did exploratory surgery and found he had mouth cancer, she put him on pain meds.  Baby's tail went up in the air and he purred again.  He looked better after he had been on antibiotics and IV for fluid intake, but his fate was the same.  He would need to be put down to stop further suffering.

I cried.  It took me about 5 days of feeling sorry for myself to not have him but then I got a new perspective about my role in his life.  He had always been present and loving for all of us in every sad situation of our 15 years with this wonderful, beautiful, life in our family.  It was my turn to be present for him now.  He needed me to love him, let him be with me as much as possible, sleep in my bed next to me, sit in my lap as much as he wanted, he did not have much time left, not even a week.


So a peace came over me. How could I do less for this cat than I did for strangers in Hospice?  How could I help him?  So I lie down with him next to me, petting his matted fur as if it were not, wiping his mouth as needed when it drooled, and not shying away from the odious breath, he does not know he has…he is just the cat he always has been, loving, kind, lap cat, purring now because he is on pain meds.  It is the least I can do for this little life that gave so much. I am present for him as he is for me.  Thankful to have had this precious life then and now.


No comments:

Post a Comment