Sunday, July 2, 2017

Maple Nut Goodies, Did you eat these?

In the same store as the hat rack, I was exiting when I saw bags of "Maple Nut Goodies." Down South I never had maple syrup although it must have been available.  It may have been that like Welch's grape juice which I really wanted,(The church served this for communion,) was too expensive for my family's purse, so Mom would buy grape Kool-Aid and say, "That was the same but cheaper." (Note: It is not the same.)  Maple syrup I had never tasted, when I saw it in the Winn Dixie and wanted to try it was told, "Aunt Jemima was good enough." (Once again, it is not as delicious as 100% Maple syrup)

But the one time I had real "maple sugar" was when Mother would drive downtown and park her car to sit and watch the people go by, we had a white paper bag of "maple nut goodies" in one hand, bought from the Mack 5 & dime store, and a Coca-cola in the other.  It was heaven!  I love maple sugar! On this day I felt rich!

Years later I would marry my Yankee Sweetheart and find his family only ate the finest.  Maple Syrup from nearby maple tree farms was always on the table and Welch's grape juice was his Dad's favorite.  Three things I love came together, my Sweetheart, Maple Syrup, and Welch's, I knew I was in a tub of butter!  (Tub of butter, my mother-in-law's expression for "Good Luck")  Today I love maple nut fudge, I love maple nut ice-cream, and maple nut goodies! Today we always have maple syrup in the house and I save Welch's grape juice for holidays as you know, "Don't drink your calories."  I love water.

So three bags of maple nut goodies I did buy alongside my hat rack. One for my daughter's birthday package, one for my son's birthday package, and one for a friend's daughter's birthday package.  Ok, I'll admit it, I opened one bag to have a few but hey it comes with a reusable twist tie, no one will notice...I best mail these out soon before I finish off the bag!


No comments:

Post a Comment