Saturday, May 12, 2018

A Can-Am Spyder and A BMW Bike

What is it about a ride in the mountains and countryside that makes me get so excited when I see a couple on a motorcycle and trike?  These motorized rides make me think of absolute freedom.  Maybe it is because I'm old enough to remember Peter Fonda in "Easy Rider." The latter part of the sixties and early 70s where my three brothers and boyfriend had motorcycles. My boyfriend and I rode hundreds of miles through the country in NC on our dates.  What freedom and joy to be riding with the sun on your back and the wind in your face going nowhere in particular just having fun being young and free. 

Yesterday was such a beautiful day that I drove up into the mountains around Shawangunk Ridgeway and stopped at a lookout to enjoy the farms, houses, ponds, plowed fields, faraway roads with tiny cars, and most of all the mountain ridge.  I sat there gazing, happy, breathing in the silence and crisp air with such thankfulness to be alive and just be present. The world is so beautiful and the stillness of it's beauty amazes me always.

At a nearby coffee shop I stopped in ot get a latte and there parked were two motorcycles, BMW cycle and a Can-AM trike with a couple strapping on their helmets to ride, I had to see the bikes up closer and meet the couple.  It was Joe and Lynn, married 33 years with two grown kids that were traveling down to Florida on their two week vacation.  They rode up to Nova Scotia together last vacation and this year heading to Florida.  Joe actually waited until the kids were grown to get his motorcycle, a request made by many wives I have known over the years, however Lynn was on a "mercedes benz" of a trike! Now that is not something I see wives get and actually ride alongside her husband in travel.

Joe was a handsome man with A Connecticut accent and was so charismatic and Lynn was a beautiful woman with streaks of purple in her white hair, what fun they two of them must be as parents.  I asked if they planned to retire and bike a round for the rest of their lives and Joe said, "That's my plan, I don't know what she is going to do."

Another couple that understands they have two separate minds and can choose.  I have a notion they will be happily married a long time and I can't know for sure, but if I look into my crystal ball I think Lynn will be riding with Joe into the sunset of their lives. Really great people, I meet great people everyday in my travels.

Thank you Joe and Lynn for letting me see your motorcycles up close and sharing a little time and conversation with me.  You two are wonderful people. Love that Can-Am Spyder, Lynn, I want one.

Image result for can-am spyder


2 comments:

  1. No thank you Candy, it was such a pleasure to meet you. Joe and I had a great time on our adventure. Can’t wait fir the next one.
    Candy you should get a Can-am it is so much fun.

    May we meet again.
    Joe & Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Candy, it was nice to meet you. Joe and I had a great trip. We can’t wit to take another trip. You should try the Can-am. I really enjoy riding it.

    ReplyDelete