Sunday, April 29, 2018

Kissing Wood!

Watching my new addiction Wood Carvers on Netflix, I was motivated to see these artists perform live.  I found a demonstration in Ridgeway, PA. I booked a room and made plans.  We waited as the weeks went by and I was more excited each week as we did the countdown to the weekend.

We both worked the night and day before we left and were tired.  I offered to drive out there as I am better driving in the night than my counterpart.  He did not sleep much the night before because he was working too.  We were a little testy to one another for the first 5 hours but then realized we both were running low on sleep and this was the cause. 

We arrived 7 hours later and just took a chance, I stopped by the hotel first to see if we could get in the room at 10:30 am instead of check in time 2pm that afternoon.  Yes! The room was not rented out the night before and we were allowed in early.  We freshened up and headed over for a great day, I was so excited I could hardly wait to get there.

Ridgeway was only 10 miles away and the parking was non-existent.  Being from NY we know how expensive tickets can be so we were leary to park anywhere.  After a while, we saw locals parking by a stream with mounds of rocks (it looked like there was construction going on here) and figured..why not? If we get ticketed we will just "treat every event as if we had chosen it" and pay the  fine as if it was the price of parking for the event.  NYC charges us every time we park anywhere for any event and this sleepy little town could use the money...

The wood carving demonstration was so amazing to watch, we both loved watching the artists create a sculpture in one hour.  The weather was cool but not hot, simply perfect. When we left I thought I will buy a simple souvenir for $25 or so and be content.  Truth be known I have wanted a wood carving totem pole like sculpture in my yard for decades!  I saw the demonstration and you know how art speaks to you and you have to have it?  That bear and beaver spoke to me loudly, I bought both for another gift for our fortieth since we are fixing up our yard this year in celebration of our anniversary. This will look beautiful in our yard.  The bear rode home in our back seat and his friend the beaver rode in the trunk. The artist Josh Dagg gave me another tabletop piece he did as a thank you gift for buying his sculptures, a crane.  Thankful for finally having another dream come true. Life is like that if you live long enough and are patient, dreams will come true.

Yes, I was kissing them on the way home.  Animals make me happy and I have to kiss them even if they are not real.  I was kissing wood.

Image result for ridgway PA wood carving 2018






No comments:

Post a Comment