Tuesday, April 24, 2018

You Only Live This LIfe Once

Many believe there are multiple lives, I do not.  The one in heaven is an unknown to all of us.  Except for everyone seeing their dead relatives on the other side waving them in, there is not much talk about life on the other side.  What do they do?

Well I am not going to give much thought about that, I'm busy figuring this one out first.  I do know if there is a thing you want to do and it is within your financial means to do it, even once, you should do it.  Save if you have to but do it, just once.

Today I had a picnic with a dear friend. We sat by the Hudson River and looked across to see our own "Silver Streak" pass by again. We both have sat by this river for many, many, years, she, twice as many as me, she has lived here most of her adult life. Today as she sat there telling me facts about the river I never knew, she stopped to look at the train going to NYC again.

She said that she and a friend had promised each other they would ride that train to NYC before they died ... but he died a few years ago and now she was never going. 

I thought I have ridden that train so many times to the city and it has brought me much joy. Riding by train is my favorite mode of transportation. I could not let this simple wish go...

I asked her if she would accept a belated birthday gift from me? 
She said, "What do you mean?"
I said, "We are going to ride that train next month together."
"What if I'm not feeling well that day?"
"Then we will go the next day."
"Really? That is expensive, that is too much, are you sure?"
"It is not too expensive, it is a simple ride to the city to put a check by that bucket list item."
"You only live once, you might as well live."
She said, "I agree, ok. That would be wonderful."

A simple dream. I like simple things too, we (she and I) are of the Third Franciscan Order, she told me so! We are simple people.

Thankful I can do a simple thing with a friend to make her smile. Life is too short not to have fun.

Image result for amtrak by the hudson river

No comments:

Post a Comment