Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Gone Are the Days But We Are Still Here

Gone are the days Sweetheart and I were teenagers and he was in the Albany Academy being military disciplined while I, four years younger was smoking pot and hanging out with a crowd too old for me talking about going to Woodstock.

Sweetheart was so close here in Selkirk, had I been here I would have traveled back and forth to attend even if it was only for a day. As it was I was in NC and I knew it was a rock festival with hippies and although I was as rebellious and wore some of the clothing, I was not among the "hippie per se generation." I did get rid of my bra and my mother was horrified to see me in a tee shirt with no bra!  She was also upset I would not wear a girdle, Egads No! But what else is new?

In the next few teen years I was exploring natural herbs and remedies, drinking green juices, and lived in a commune for a summer with a group called, "Fellow Laborers."  Another story another day. So tonight my sophisticated self was preparing vegetables to make fresh juices in my Breville juicer and I popped in a "Woodstock 1969" documentary DVD. I still prefer natural remedies and no drugs.

Sweetheart and I watched , laughed at the people running and jumping in a slip and slide mud puddle while it rained. It looked like fun. We sang along with Joe Cocker and others while I danced around my nice clean dry kitchen with a bathroom nearby and a warm bed to crawl into. Cats hid, the music was too loud for them.

Yeah those were the days but I enjoy Woodstock more now watching from home.  It was so hot that summer in the Catskills, sweaty, dirty, no restrooms, not enough food and water that I would not have liked it. The people were awesome to brave the elements for the music. It was more than the music, people were gathered to protest the war in peaceful unity.

What I loved best about the concert was that it was organic. Meaning big advertisers had no idea it would be that big so there were not huge signs everywhere like, "Nokia, Nike, Verizon, etc.  The corporations would have been all over that stage like a National Baseball Stadium if only they knew.

Both of us have a friend that went to Woodstock for three days. Someday we plan to watch the DVD again and really look to see if we can find him/her for fun.  Yeah that's what we call fun now.

I said, "I can't believe you did not go?"

He said, "Not till a year later did I get into that scene."

"Are you saying I corrupted you?'  Wink, wink.

He said, "No, I was far gone before I  met you."

Truth be known we saved each other.

You know the music was nice and although people were smoking pot and doing acid, they looked out for one another and yes it rained and was unsanitary but there re was not any violence. The 80 arrest were for having  illegal drugs on them, LSD and heroin, the three deaths were purely accidental. Says something about our generation. More love and peace, less hatred.

Thankful  to have my Sweetheart from my generation so we can remember things together, we are one. Now we are going to see Eckhart Tolle and practice peace with the Stoics. Life moves on.

Image result for joe cocker woodstock





No comments:

Post a Comment